- Do your homework first. Search on the internet for as much information as you can about the property and the local area.
- Check out the neighbourhood. Visit an area a few times on different days and different times of the day and night to get a real feel for the environment.
- View any property with a critical eye. Is the plot flat or on a steep slope?
- Quiz the seller. How long has the seller lived in the property? A short period may indicate issues with the property or neighbourhood.
- Quiz the estate agent. Check how long the property has been on the market and was it on the market previously with other agents?
- Further reading: If a link has an * beside it this means that it is an affiliated link.
- 1 What should you look for when buying a house?
- 2 What problems should I look for when buying a house?
- 3 What should you not say when buying a house?
- 4 How many times should you view a house before buying?
- 5 What should a first-time home buyer know?
- 6 How much does a house inspection cost?
- 7 How should I act at a house viewing?
- 8 Do real estate agents lie about offers?
- 9 How much money should you have saved up before buying a house?
- 10 What month do most homes go on the market?
- 11 Should view the house before buying?
- 12 How do I choose between two houses?
What should you look for when buying a house?
Buying A House? Look For These 10 Things
- House Size.
- The Ideal Yard.
- The House’s Exterior.
- Living Room.
- Heating And Cooling Systems.
What problems should I look for when buying a house?
14 Common Home Problems Buyers Should Look Out For
- Roof Issues. The roof is undoubtedly one of the most important parts of a home.
- Storm Damage.
- Old Appliances.
- Rotten Wood.
- Cooling or Heating Systems.
- Environmental Issues.
- Electrical Safety Concerns.
What should you not say when buying a house?
Ross says there are three things you never need to disclose with your real estate agent:
- Your income. “Agents only need to know how much you are qualified to borrow.
- How much you have in the bank. “This is for your lender to know, not your real estate agent,” he adds.
- Your personal and professional relationships.
How many times should you view a house before buying?
How many times to look at a house before buying? Ideally, four to six viewings should be sufficient. Attending two to three visits inside, with a realtor and/or appraiser, and another two to three visits scouting the house and neighborhood independently, from the outside, may be a good approach.
What should a first-time home buyer know?
Preparing to buy tips
- Start saving early.
- Decide how much home you can afford.
- Check and strengthen your credit.
- Explore mortgage options.
- Research first-time home buyer assistance programs.
- Compare mortgage rates and fees.
- Get a preapproval letter.
- Choose a real estate agent carefully.
How much does a house inspection cost?
“Home inspections generally cost between $300 and $450,” says Angie Hicks, co-founder of the home services website Angie’s List. Hicks says buyers can expect to pay at least $400 for a home inspection from a reputable company on an average 2,000-square-foot home.
How should I act at a house viewing?
House viewing tips
- Drive by. First impressions shouldn’t be underestimated.
- Be prepared. Make a list of all the things that are important to you and any questions you want to ask before the house viewing.
- Take a friend. Never go to a viewing alone.
- Check the outside of the property.
- Be thorough.
Do real estate agents lie about offers?
Although they shouldn’t, estate agents can and do lie about offers to make it look to you as a seller that they’re creating lots of interest in your property. An estate agent may also lie about offers so they can push you in the direction of a specific REAL offer, so they can get their hands on their commission ASAP.
How much money should you have saved up before buying a house?
If you’re getting a mortgage, a smart way to buy a house is to save up at least 25% of its sale price in cash to cover a down payment, closing costs and moving fees. So if you buy a home for $250,000, you might pay more than $60,000 to cover all of the different buying expenses.
What month do most homes go on the market?
What Month Do Most Houses Go on the Market? Spring is when most houses go on the market. In 2019, the national amount of homes for sale shot up an additional 160,000 from March to April—the fastest rate of growth all year.
Should view the house before buying?
While there’s no one-size-fits-all answer, it’s advisable to view a property more than once before taking the plunge. You’ve seen a property you like the look of, it’s in the right location and is within your budget – so you’ve called the agent and arranged a viewing.
How do I choose between two houses?
How to Choose Between Two Great Homes
- Consider your lifestyle.
- Consider your plans for home ownership.
- Compare home prices.
- Location, location.
- Schools on the radar.
- The condition of the houses.
- Have a second (or third home viewing)
- Ask for feedback.