Questions to Ask about Cost and Budget
- What are your total costs?
- What’s included in the sale?
- How long has the house been on the market?
- Why is the seller moving out?
- How much have nearby homes sold for?
- How much do utilities usually cost?
- Is the real estate agent familiar with your target market?
To start, you can ask for referrals from trusted friends and family members. The people who know you best can be helpful in recommending a real estate agent you’ll feel comfortable with. Buying a home can be an emotional process too, so you want to work with someone you like.
- 1 What questions should you ask before buying a house?
- 2 What questions should I ask a realtor when touring a house?
- 3 How many times should you view a house before buying?
- 4 What is an acceptable offer on a house?
- 5 What should a first time home buyer look for?
- 6 How can I impress a house viewing?
- 7 What questions should I ask an estate agent when renting?
- 8 What should you not say when buying a house?
- 9 How should I act at a house viewing?
- 10 What should you not buy when buying a house?
- 11 Can I offer 20k less on a house?
- 12 Is offering 15 below asking price too low?
- 13 Should you offer less than the asking price?
What questions should you ask before buying a house?
15 best questions to ask when buying a house
- What’s my total budget?
- Is the home in a flood zone or prone to other natural disasters?
- Why is the seller leaving?
- What’s included in the sale?
- Were there any additions or major renovations?
- How old is the roof?
- How old are the appliances and major systems?
What questions should I ask a realtor when touring a house?
Questions to ask after the home tour:
- Can I have a copy of the Seller’s Property Disclosure?
- How many offers have been made, and when are offers due?
- Has the seller provided an inspection?
- What is the home’s repair and renovation history?
- What did you like about the home?
- Are any repairs currently needed?
How many times should you view a house before buying?
How many times to look at a house before buying? Ideally, four to six viewings should be sufficient. Attending two to three visits inside, with a realtor and/or appraiser, and another two to three visits scouting the house and neighborhood independently, from the outside, may be a good approach.
What is an acceptable offer on a house?
As with all negotiations, start low. A good rule of thumb though is to offer 5% to 10% lower than the asking price. Don’t forget that sellers often take this into account and deliberately put their house on the market for more than they expect or would accept.
What should a first time home buyer look for?
Here’s our checklist of things to look out for when you are buying and viewing a property.
- Is there damp?
- Is the building structurally sound?
- How much storage space is there?
- Which way does the house face?
- Are the rooms big enough for your needs?
- Have you been fooled by staging?
- Do the window frames have cracking paint?
How can I impress a house viewing?
11 secrets for successful property viewing
- Do not view it alone. The more pairs of eyes you have looking around a property the better.
- View outside and inside.
- Give yourself plenty of time.
- Leave emotion at the door.
- View in daylight.
- Book multiple viewings.
- Check for damp.
- Test the property.
What questions should I ask an estate agent when renting?
Ask your agent plenty of questions before signing your lease.
- Can I take the lease home and read it properly before signing it?
- Is this a typical amount to pay for a rental property in this suburb?
- Can we have an official lease drawn up?
- Is this a safe area to live in?
- Can we organise an inspection for my housemate?
What should you not say when buying a house?
Ross says there are three things you never need to disclose with your real estate agent:
- Your income. “Agents only need to know how much you are qualified to borrow.
- How much you have in the bank. “This is for your lender to know, not your real estate agent,” he adds.
- Your personal and professional relationships.
How should I act at a house viewing?
House viewing tips
- Drive by. First impressions shouldn’t be underestimated.
- Be prepared. Make a list of all the things that are important to you and any questions you want to ask before the house viewing.
- Take a friend. Never go to a viewing alone.
- Check the outside of the property.
- Be thorough.
What should you not buy when buying a house?
5 Things Not to Do Before Buying a House
- Change jobs. Mortgage lenders look for stability when they assess your loan application, and part of that involves having the same job for a period of time.
- Take on new debt.
- Miss bills.
- Loan money.
- Cosign a loan.
Can I offer 20k less on a house?
You can offer whatever price you want. Whether or not they accept that offer depends on the motivations of the seller. Offer less then 20k less and try to negotiate to that number.
Is offering 15 below asking price too low?
However, an offer of 15% lower may be considered a cheeky offer, but it isn’t so cheeky the seller will think you’re being disrespectful. This shows the seller is up for negotiation on the asking price, meaning an offer of 15% below asking price may not actually as cheeky as you think.
Should you offer less than the asking price?
Offering slightly below asking price is pretty common — at least in a slow buyer’s market. If you’re the only person eyeing the property and the seller has had the home listed for a while, they’re probably flexible on price. They might be willing to accept less cash just to be done with it all.